Brief Information about the UNIDO/GEF UKR IEE Project: “Introduction of Energy Management System Standard in Ukrainian Industry”:
Project Donor: Global Environment Facility (GEF)
UN Implementing agency: UNIDO (United Nations Industrial Development Organisation)
National Beneficiaries and Partners:
- Ministry of Economic Development, Trade, and Agriculture of Ukraine
- State Agency on Energy Efficiency and Energy Saving of Ukraine
- Resource Efficiency and Cleaner Production Center
The Project’s Main Goal:
The Project “Introduction of Energy Management System Standards in Ukrainian Industry Project” (UKR IEE Project) aims at contributing to a sustainable transformation of industrial energy usage practices in Ukraine. The project will do this by establishing and promoting the concepts of EnMS and ESO, along with the introduction and promotion of the ISO50000 Energy Management Standard series.
The UKR IEE Project contains three primary components:
- Policy and Institutional Support for the introduction of National EnMS Standards compatible with ISO 50000 series. Support of legislation adaptation and transposition of EED 2012/27
- Building National Capacity for Planning, Implementation and Certification of EnMS and Implementation of Energy System Optimization – an extensive training programme and implementation activities
- Development of a Financial Mechanism to support EnMS implementation and other industrial EE measures with a long-lasting effect of capital attraction into the industrial energy efficiency market.
The Project activities aim at substantial GHGs reduction.
Project budget: 5,5 mio USD
Project lifetime: Operational activities started in 2015 and, expected, to be realized until the end of 2021
The UKR IEE Project aims to assist the Government of Ukraine to achieve a sustainable transformation of industrial energy usage practices within the country. In order to do this, the project is establishing and promoting the industrial Energy Efficiency (IEE) concepts of Energy Management System (EnMS) and Energy Systems Optimization (ESO), along with the promotion and deployment of the ISO 50000 Energy Management Standard Series.
EnMS provides structured and systematic approach for integration of energy efficiency concept into enterprise management culture and day-to-day practices. EnMS delivers: (i) A framework for understanding significant energy uses; (ii) Action plans for continuous improvement of energy use performance, and (iii) Documentation to sustain and demonstrate energy performance improvements over time. EnMS establishes a proper linkage between energy management business practices and core industrial values, such as cost reduction, increased productivity, environmental compliance, and competitiveness. Practical experience demonstrates that for companies that are totally new to energy management concepts, average energy efficiency gains through the adoption of EnMS in the first several years in the range between 10 and 20% and with minimal investment costs.
ESO is a method of generating energy savings through optimizing the operation of systems that consume energy within a facility, rather than following the traditional method of replacing individual components of a system with components of higher efficiency. While more efficient components may save 2-3% of energy, optimization of the entire system can usually save up to 20-30% of the energy use.
The United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) – is a specialized agency in the United Nations system. The mission of UNIDO is to promote and accelerate inclusive and sustainable industrial development (ISID) in Member States.